Meet Amanda Ragan
Amanda Ragan was elected in 2014 to her fourth term in the Iowa Senate. She represents Franklin, Butler and Cerro Gordo counties.
Senator Ragan is the Senate Democratic Whip and ranking member of the Health & Human Services Budget. She also serves on the Agriculture, Appropriations, Human Resources, Rules & Administration and Veterans Affairs committees.
Amanda is active in her local area. Her community service includes the state’s Healthy & Well Kids in Iowa (HAWK-I) board of directors, and member of Mason City Chamber of Commerce, Hampton Chamber of Commerce, Clear Lake Chamber of Commerce, Mason City Sunrise Rotary and North Iowa Band Festival Planning Committee. She attends Trinity Lutheran Church.
Amanda has also served on the Mason City Sesquicentennial Committee, the Iowa Democratic Party State Central Committee, the Mason City Sunrise Rotary Board, the Kinney Pioneer Museum Board, the Buena Vista University Alumni Association Board, the Francis Lauer Youth Services Board, the Buena Vista University Alumni Foundation, and the Northern Lights Homeless Shelter Board.
Amanda is executive director of two non-profit agencies, The Community Kitchen of North Iowa and Mason City Meals on Wheels.
Amanda was raised near Rockwell and now lives in Mason City. She graduated from Rockwell-Swaledale High School and received her A.A. Degree from North Iowa Area Community College. She graduated cum laude from Buena Vista University with a B.A. in Human Services.
Amanda is married to Jim Ragan, a retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Colonel. She has two grown children, Edith and Charles, and four grandchildren.
Recognitions and Honors
- Outstanding Service Award for 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008 – Iowa Health Care Association and Iowa Center for Assisted Living
- 2014 Champions for Children Award Winner – Presented by the Coalition for Family and Children’s Services in Iowa
- 2014 Friend of Agriculture – Recognized by Iowa Farm Bureau Federation
- 2014 Underserved Champions of the Year Award – Presented by the Iowa Primary Care Association (Co-Champion with Representative Linda Upmeyer)
- 2014 Senator of the Year – Presented by the Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa
- 2013 Iowa Children’s Champion Award – Presented at Region VI Head Start Association Annual Meeting in Kansas City, Missouri
- 2013 Herbert Hoover Library Association Uncommon Public Service Award
- 2013 Klempnauer Award for volunteer activities supporting the North Iowa Band Festival Committee (awarded at the 75th annual – Diamond Jubilee – Band Festival Parade)
- 2013 Century Club Village Builder Award – Opportunity Village, Clear Lake, Iowa Legislature
- 2012 Iowa’s Hero for Home Care Award – Iowa Alliance in Home Care
- 2012 Voice for Children Award – Orchard Place, Des Moines
- 2011 Legislator of the Year – IA Hospital Association
- Outstanding Service Award for 2012, 2011,2010, 2009, and 2008 – Iowa Health Care Association and Iowa Center for Assisted Living
- 2010 Champion of Renewable Fuels – Iowa Renewable Fuels Association
- Above & Beyond Legislative Award – Iowa Family Development Alliance
- 2008 Certificate of Appreciation – Heartland Power Cooperative and Iowa Rural Electric Cooperatives
- 2008 Iowa Dental Legislative Award
- 2007 Certificate of Appreciation –Charles City Foster Grandparent Program
- 2006 Iowa Public Health Official of the Year Award –Iowa Public Health Association
· 2005 Protector of Children Award –Coalition of Family & Children’s Services in Iowa